Last night, Nathan and I dug into our first remodeling project on the new house. Since I’ll begin giving all my cello and piano lessons from home in mid-August, transforming this room is top priority. After a long day, we were finally both home around 8:30 pm. Hudson went down for the night. Nathan and I quickly ate leftovers from the cookout we had over the weekend. By quickly, I mean no-time-to-warm-them-in-the-microwave and just-sit-on-the-kitchen-counter-while-you-eat. Needless to say, we weren’t all that thrilled about beginning our project so late. We had to get it done last night because we’re having carpet laid today, and the piano is being delivered tomorrow. Stressful is our style.
Here’s the before picture of the room, minus the cat-stained blue shag carpet we already tore out. I’m sure you’re sad you missed seeing that. By far, this is the yuckiest room in the house. But, by far, this is a way easier remodel than our old house. That was remodeling. This is just peeling wallpaper, putting in a light fixture, taking out old trim, putting up board and batten, putting up new trim, having carpet laid, changing out the cream outlets/switches for white, and painting. No big deal.
Here we are in the process of peeling off the wallpaper. As you can see, the top layer of paper came off super easily. I’ve peeled a lot of wallpaper and it never came off in big sheets like this. The backing and glue were still on the wall after the top layer of paper was peeled off.
To remove the backing and glue, we tried using a clothes steamer, but that didn’t get it wet enough. After that, we tried rubbing a mixture of water and dish soap into the backing with a towel, and it started to peel off, but in teeny-tiny bits. Then, my genius husband brought in a grout sponge, and we rubbed the water/soap mixture into the paper backing with that. It was magic. I would wash a wall thoroughly, then Nathan would come behind a couple minutes later, and the backing would peel off in huge sheets. This little sponge made all the difference-you can find one here for $1.97.
After the backing was removed, there was still the issue of the glue. Again, with a towel, it was hard work, but removing it with the sponge was so easy! I would wipe down a section, leave it for a minute while I wiped down another section, then come back and wipe the first section again. That’s all it took! From start to finish, this project took less than two hours, including sanding the walls where the chair-rail had been, and cleaning everything up.
This is what the room looks like right now. I can’t wait for the carpet layers to come today and cover up that nasty vinyl tile flooring!