The Downstairs Bathroom – Our Progress So Far

DSC02498

Our bathroom started out as a graffiti-covered, wood paneled, low-ceilinged, weird, old-porch-converted-to-bedroom.  Classy.

Since we started working on this room, Nathan:

-put in the new window

-tore out the paneling

-tore out plaster and lathe

-tore out the old ceiling

-tore out the flooring

-tore out the old wall, making the bathroom bigger and the laundry room smaller

-framed in the new walls, doorway, angled hallway, shower, and vaulted ceiling

-hung drywall, taped the seams, mudded the seams, sanded the seams

-ran new wiring, added a bunch of outlets and added ceiling lights

-put in all new plumbing

-painted, which turned out to be the wrong color, so we have to repaint

-laid tile on the floor

-spent a week fitting the shower walls with a waterproofing material and laying the pan and curb for the shower floor

-laid tile in the shower

-grouted the tile in the shower and on the floors

-installed the bathroom cabinets (well, the cabinet maker did this)

-installed the faucets

-installed the toilet

-connected all the plumbing so the toilet and faucets work!

100_1736

This is the shower when it was framed in and partly drywalled.  Look how much taller that ceiling is  now!

100_1734

Toilet corner!

Yes, we know it is right next to the window.  It is at the back of the house, and blinds will be going over it pronto.  The original plan was for this to be the laundry room.  You were going to have to walk through the bathroom to get to the laundry, which was not ideal.  We just couldn’t figure out a way to have a hallway without wasting a bunch of space from the already fairly small rooms.  But then, Nathan came up with our angled hallway, and then the bathroom could be back here, which was great.  Downside: we had already installed the giant laundry room window, and it wasn’t going anywhere.

100_1731

View of the shower, toilet corner, and raised ceiling.

100_1739

100_1743

In this picture, Nathan is kneeling on the shower pan and spreading a cement-like material on it.  After that, he covered it with an orange cloth-like material that waterproofs the shower.  He also did the exact same thing for the walls, I just don’t have any pictures of it.  I am SO glad I didn’t have to do this job.  It looked frustrating.  He had to thinly spread the cement stuff, attach the orange waterproof material, make sure the cement material was a uniform thickness, and squeeze all the air bubbles out from under the orange material.

100_1742

100_1830

Wow!  Suddenly everything started to come together!  Nathan and some friends laid the cement board and then the tile in three weekends.  When I measured to order the tile, there was actually more on the walls of the shower than the whole bathroom floor.  And, that angled seat was a real treat to tile.

100_1820

I found these vanities at Pottery Barn and loved them, but wasn’t sure about the quality, i.e.- how much I was paying for the Pottery Barn label.  So, our cabinet maker recreated them.  I LOVE them, and we are so excited to have counter space after the past nine months of sharing one tiny pedestal sink in our upstairs bathroom.

100_1816

I promise that underneath all that grime from the wet saw, the tile is really pretty.  I love the rectangular shaped tile that Nathan picked.

100_1815

100_1830

After we clean up the bathroom, we have to install the shower heads, wire up the rest of the outlets (Nathan did a few of them last night), install the ceiling lights, put in the door, and trim.  We’re getting so close!  I’ll keep you updated as we make progress over the next couple weeks.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s